Preparing your team for home is an ongoing process that takes time and attention... most importantly, it’s a process that runs from before your event to well after everyone has returned home. Let’s talk about a few things you might do in each key stage.
Before the Trip
- Set the expectation that this is a temporary experience but a life-style of engagement is possible.
- Read books of healthy service engagement before you leave to help set the heart right, like When Helping Hurts.
During the Trip
- Stay consistent with daily debriefs
- Talk about how people are going to use their lessons from this event once they get home
After the Trip
- Follow up with opportunities to engage
- Ask constituents how they are engaging now that they are home
- Prepare your stories so each member is ready when asked, “How did it go?” and “What did you do?”